4.9.08

Things I Like Thursday/SF

TiLT:

-OPI's It's All Bright With Me nail polish

-My new Fender acoustic Guild guitar

-All the Facebook Wall messages for my birthday

-Scholastic Bowl is starting up again

-Purple

-My pink metallic mirrored Clinique pencil case

-Phone dates with camp people

-Alphabeat! Cute, fun, hip, upbeat, and very Danish.

-Boy-scoping at school
-Following the slut-shame shitstorm over Bristol Palin
-Getting back into my Moleskine
-This Brigitte Bardot outfit I wore on Wednesday: oversized shirt, white shorts, fishnets, blue velvet Docs, and Versace L'Homme. It was wonderful.

and now for SCIENCE FICTION

Sir Apropos of Nothing: The Woad to Wuin by Peter David
Surprisingly sophisticated! Still, I enjoyed the plot permutations, and the fact that Apropos has to be the most unlikable character ever (beats Holden Caulfield, I can tell you) and he is still lovable. Also, the random and obscene Lord of the Rings spoof was a loud and very, very interesting "Fuck you!" to most of fantasy.
Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb
Wow. If Tamora Pierce represents the feel-good, feminist, animal-loving happy-ending side of fantasy, and I personally feel she does, then Robin Hobb is a pretty good example of a COMPLETE PARALLEL. I still liked this book, which was violent, depressing, adult, and deeply sorrowful. However, it is decidedly not for the teenybopper set.

No comments:

Post a Comment

oua, je parle francais.