5.1.09

The Stylish Movies You Should Know, Pt. 1

I was doing a Facebook note--the copy and paste kind--that required you to check off the movies that'd you'd seen from a list (because I'm a good student like that) and it came to me...a lot of these movies are huge style influences. Here's an initial list.

REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE (1955)
This movie is so 50s and punk and rebellious it's amazing. No, seriously, it is. Also, James Dean is in it. If I need to sell it to you more you should lay off the white powder.



VANISHING POINT (1971)
Short synopsis: A guy who's really high on speed takes a sweet car really fast across a long distance being followed by cops, helped by a DJ and a naked biker chick. OK, it sounds dumb put that way. But really, this film is totally sweet, but has the side-effect that you swagger around for frigging days feeling totally BA after you watch it, even if you're a CPA or something. Really cool! It was the basis for 33Hz's "I Feel Alive" music video, and features Mountain, Cleavon Little, and Big Mama Thornton.




BONJOUR TRISTESSE (1958)
Jean Seberg's iconic short haircut is the most famous style point of this film, but the way she effortlessly strides around in her father's old shirts looking glamorous and beautiful is also worth a mention. This is perfect if you are into androgyne/gamine style.

No comments:

Post a Comment

oua, je parle francais.